Monday, July 2, 2012

Float On

Today was a very special day. Along with the wonderful visit of my nieces and nephews for the next month, there came a wonderful visit to the beach. Of course, we go to the beach every summer but this visit was special. Today I learned how to float, float and then float on where ever the current took me and I wasn't afraid. It was the most special thing that I've done since painting for the first time three days ago. Today, I let go. 

Some might be thinking: "Floating? Whats the big deal?" Well, my good hotmen, I will tell you what the big deal is. You see, my sister and I are very analytical people. We analyze everything about ourselves and are sometimes very self aware. A while back, about three years ago I analyzed floating in the very same beach I floated in today. In fact, I analyzed my inability to float and how I correlated it to my relationship to God. Not having faith, not trusting, fearing something I can't see or hear or be warned about. Its all very possible that I over analyzed it but that is how I saw the situation at the end of the day. 

Being able to float today was a small revelation. Just letting the waves move me where they will was amazing, staring up at the sky and seeing it as a big blue cap just made everything around me seem simple and very minute. Of course in the moment of contemplating this new found freedom and clarity my nephew and nieces found it imperative to splash water in my face and or make a loud noise behind me.


Despite the distractions, I felt so calm in the water. The inability to hear, the clear sky above, the weightless feeling, pure clarity. Somehow I found myself singing Florence + the machine's 'what the water gave me'. I kinda really wouldn't frown upon the idea of having a pool when I get older, floating sounds the perfect type of meditation. 


Song: Float On by Modest Mouse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWvh85Qd8us



0 helpful comments: