Saturday, February 14, 2009

If you believe in yourself


When I was younger I remember very vaguely watching a movie called The Wiz. For those of you who don't know what that movie is, its sorta the...'black' version of the Wizard of Oz. I don't care either way if it was black or white but I gotta say I didn't like the original version. Personally I never knew why Dorthy had to go on such a trip until I watched the Wiz today for maybe the third time in my life. I finally understand that Dorthy didn't have faith in her self to do anything beyond what she had known all her life, some would say she wasn't moving forward. Going to Oz helped her to be put in situations where she was forced to do things she had never done before so she had to grow as a person.

Anyhoo, I was watching the movie with my mom and Dorthy was talking about how the lion just needed to believe in himself so he could have courage. My mom said "Why don't you take your own advice?" in a jokingly way towards the TV. I somehow took it to heart because I sympathized with Dorthy some how. Its easy to see that someone else needs to believe in them self and point them in the right direction but its so hard to see those same qualities in yourself. I also felt for the Tin man (Nipsey Russell)...probably the most out of all the characters. The song he sang in the Wiz was the best (I will post a link at the end of this). He didn't have a heart and sometimes I feel as if I don't have a heart, like nothing really touches my heart like it should.

The song at the end 'Home' also got to me. I sing along with that song just as loud as Diana Ross and with as much heart (I think I do anyway). Its so encouraging, I always feel like I can move forward with that song. Lena Horne sang Believe in yourself like no one else. I really feel uplifted when I hear that song. I just wish this believing in yourself thing would kick in a little easier. From time to time it gets really easy to fall backwards...

Strangely enough I also love the song Don't bring me no bad news by the evil witch of the west Evilene. I just love her no mess attitude. Some say I have the same attitude from time to time but I don't ever see it. Be a lion is such a great song, I just love the vocals. When the lion sings he sounds so proud with Dorthy's inspiring words holding him up. I just thought it was a really lovely song.

I would advise the movie to anyone who enjoys musicals and dancing. I don't really think that the movie being an all black cast should have anything to do with how good it is. I think it would have been just as good if the original movie had the same script...maybe...the girl who played Dorthy in that movie was REALLY annoying...anyhoo, its a good movie and if musicals are your thing you should check it out. ^_^


If I could feel by Nipsey Russel

0 helpful comments: